As soon as I landed on this page I knew it was exactly what I was going to do with my Heather Ross fabrics.
I was ridiculously slow, but that’s okay. It wasn’t a project that I wanted to rush. I could take my time, pet the fabrics, and enjoy the slowness.
It took me a few months to baste all of my hexagons.
So my hexagons are REALLY big. But they had to be to get some of these fabrics fussy cut properly.
I really love how Nicole quilts her hexagons directly onto the fabric, but you know me. I don’t have the patience for this much straight line quilting.
I want to swirl and twirl about.
So I decided that I would meander quilt all of over this thing.
You might be thinking, “Oh my, you could really mess these fabrics up!”
But then you have apparently underestimated my stash of these. I have more. So much more.
But seriously, I loved this idea. And the thought of meandering all over these hexagons just seemed right to me, so I went for it.
The issue with this method of course is making sure that my hexagons don’t flip up after wash and wear. Note, that they are not sewn onto my background until they are quilted, just like Nicole does hers. And while straight line quilting will work well for this, free motion quilting – not so much. So I had to be careful, thoughtful and just be sure that my stitches did make it to every corner of my hexagons.
I did get it done, but I’m not going to tell you it was easy. And there were places that I missed and had to go back and restitch down.
This was all balanced with the amount of negative space on the quilt, and in that area I was able to whip right on through that.
Even with the difficulties, I’d make this quilt again.
Background stripe measures 72×84″ and was cut from two pieces of fabrics and thoughtfully pieced so you can’t tell (but just a smidgeon).
Finished quilt measures 72×84″.
All hexagons were glued to the background fabric prior to quilting, but after quilt was basted. I used Glue-Baste-It and was very impressed with the hold the glue had even when I was wrangling this quilt around trying to FMQ all over it. But it was still temporary enough for me to pull them off when they got a little crooked when I first started using the glue on the hexagons.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click through and purchase an item I may earn a tiny commission. You will not pay any extra by doing so. This is just a means for me to bring you free content. If you do purchase something I have linked to, THANK YOU for supporting me and my writing on the Quilt Making blog. Big hugs!