I hope you enjoyed last week’s post about cutting and organizing. Now it’s time to ramp up the fun! We’ve done the hard part, and now it’s block making time.
If you’ve missed a week, you’ll find all of the posts for this quilt along here.
Fabrics I’m Using
- Foreground – A mix of low volumes from several of my different collections
- Background – Pure Raw Gold
This Week’s Task
This week our task is to make blocks! Finally, right?! It’s always one of the most exciting parts.
If you are making the:
- 72″x72″ – Make 3 blocks
- 72″x96″ – Make 4 blocks
- 96″x96″ – Make 5 blocks
Supplies Used in the Video
- Omnigrid rotating cutting mat
- Magic pins
- Starch by the gallon + my mist-er bottle
- Reliant Maven iron
- Wool pressing mat
- 60 mm rotary cutter
- Creative Grids cutting mat
- Creative Grids small ruler
- Binding clips
- Find all of my online classes at Quilt Class here
- SHOP MY FABRIC STORE
- INSTAGRAM: @southerncharmquilts + @meanderandmake
- Contact me
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click through and purchase an item I may earn a tiny commission. You will not pay any extra by doing so. This is just a means for me to bring you free content. If you do purchase something I have linked to, THANK YOU for supporting me. Big hugs!
- Find the Snowball efficiency demo here. This is the video I discussed if you wanted to skip the drawing of lines or get additional tips on snowballs. If you are interested in the diagonal seam tape, you’ll find it here.
- Starch is your bestie. Like, really really. Starch your little heart out. ESPECIALLY when it comes to snowballs.
- I know setting seams is an extra step and extra time, but I strongly recommend it. It helps you get more accurate piecing.
- If your snowballs are coming out wonky or the wrong size (a very common occurrence, so don’t give yourself a hard time), it’s either your cutting, your sewing, or your pressing. If you need more help than this video provides, I offer the Precision Workshop class here. It really delves into frustrations.
- Don’t get too caught up in perfection. You can follow all the “rules” of snowballs and they still come out a little wonky. It happens to me on every quilt too!
Get access to the Free Pattern Library
In addition to all of my free patterns, you’ll be able to stay connected and know when the next quilt along is or when a new quilt pattern becomes available.
- Modernly Stitched Quilt Studio – 20% off longarm services on Fernweh quilt until August 31, 2023. Code: FERNWEH20 The discount is for 20% off longarm services only. This does not include batting, shipping and any applicable taxes.
- Autumn Moon Quilting – 10% off Fernweh quilts with code SC10
- J Coterie Design – 20% off code FERNWEH20
- Ladybug Threads – 20% off through August 30 using code FERNWEH
Prizes for this week
2 winners will receive:
- $50 gift certificate to Meander + Make
- Post your progress on your quilt using the #fernwehqal to be eligible for the prizes! The more you post, the better your odds for winning.
- You MUST be following myself and ALL of the sponsors to win any prize (I do check this before choosing winners). Follow all of these accounts and you will be eligible:
- Giveaway is open to US and international participants, however, some sponsors may have shipping limitations. Prize is void if the sponsor is unwilling to ship out of the US.
- A winner/winners will be chosen one day prior to every post (except the first one) and announced on Instagram. It is your responsibility to get in touch with me by email and claim your prize. I won’t track you down. You have 15 days to claim your prize by email after that it will be void. See the calendar above for a better view of dates.