We are still in our block making phase. Now that you know how the blocks get made, let’s get to some efficiency tricks to speed things up a bit.
If you’ve missed a week, you’ll find all of the posts for this quilt along here.
Fabrics I’m Using
- Foreground – A mix of low volumes from several of my different collections
- Background – Pure Raw Gold
This Week’s Task
This week our task is to make our second set of blocks!
If you are making the:
- 72″x72″ – Make 3 blocks
- 72″x96″ – Make 4 blocks
- 96″x96″ – Make 5 blocks
Supplies Used in the Video
- Omnigrid rotating cutting mat
- Magic pins
- Starch by the gallon + my mist-er bottle
- Reliant Maven iron
- Wool pressing mat
- 60 mm rotary cutter
- Creative Grids cutting mat
- Creative Grids small ruler
- Binding clips
- Find all of my online classes at Quilt Class here
- SHOP MY FABRIC STORE
- INSTAGRAM: @southerncharmquilts + @meanderandmake
- Contact me
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click through and purchase an item I may earn a tiny commission. You will not pay any extra by doing so. This is just a means for me to bring you free content. If you do purchase something I have linked to, THANK YOU for supporting me. Big hugs!
- Find the Snowball efficiency demo here. This is the video I discussed if you wanted to skip the drawing of lines or get additional tips on snowballs. If you are interested in the diagonal seam tape, you’ll find it here.
- I take a little deep dive into efficiency in this week’s video. We’re chain piecing EVERYTHING. If this style of quilt making is not for you, don’t even worry about it! Be you and do what’s right for you. This week’s video is for those of us who need a little more time in our days…
- It’s important to stay super organized while quilting this way. Tackle a step a day or a unit a day. For example in the video, I made my corners units one day, and my middle units the next day.
- Check yourself over and over. Do you have the units pointed in the correct position? Are you using the right fabric?
- If you have any trouble with those points (and if they matter to you), I made a bonus video here.
Get access to the Free Pattern Library
In addition to all of my free patterns, you’ll be able to stay connected and know when the next quilt along is or when a new quilt pattern becomes available.
- Modernly Stitched Quilt Studio – 20% off longarm services on Fernweh quilt until August 31, 2023. Code: FERNWEH20 The discount is for 20% off longarm services only. This does not include batting, shipping and any applicable taxes.
- Autumn Moon Quilting – 10% off Fernweh quilts with code SC10
- J Coterie Design – 20% off code FERNWEH20
- Ladybug Threads – 20% off through August 30 using code FERNWEH
Prizes for this week
Winner 1 will receive:
- Longarm services from Modernly Stitched Quilt Studio – Shipping fees not included, any size up to 96″ x 96″
Winner 2 will receive:
- Longarm services from Autumn Moon Quilting – Customer pays shipping and return shipping for their quilt. Only a Fernweh quilt qualifies for free quilting.
- Post your progress on your quilt using the #fernwehqal to be eligible for the prizes! The more you post, the better your odds for winning.
- You MUST be following myself and ALL of the sponsors to win any prize (I do check this before choosing winners). Follow all of these accounts and you will be eligible:
- Giveaway is open to US and international participants, however, some sponsors may have shipping limitations. Prize is void if the sponsor is unwilling to ship out of the US.
- A winner/winners will be chosen one day prior to every post (except the first one) and announced on Instagram. It is your responsibility to get in touch with me by email and claim your prize. I won’t track you down. You have 15 days to claim your prize by email after that it will be void. See the calendar above for a better view of dates.