Just in case you are not familiar with traveling quilts here is the idea: Each member of your group creates a starter block and usually writes a journal with details, theme and style they would like their quilt to end up. You send your starter block to another member in your group (usually there is a list, and you send it to the next lady on the list), they have a month to add on to your starter block and get your quilt going. Then, they send it to the next woman on the list and so on and so on until your quilt arrives back to you. In the meantime, as your quilt is traveling to each member of your group, their quilts are as well, so you will be adding to their quilts.
We have 10 women in our group. That means that 9 ladies besides me will be working on my quilt and I will be working on 9 different quilts. All themed.
Our group runs January 2017 – October 2017.
First an update on my quilt
Here is it’s current look. It’s been a few months since I’ve seen it, but as you can see it’s grown. I’m told that there are many tiny details that make it even more special. I really like those flowers on the left y’all. And the “let it bee” at the top. Yes!!
August has been rough on me. It’s been ridiculously busy in my personal and work life and I didn’t get this quilt until a week into the month. I’m telling you this just in case you’ve been wondering why it’s been a bit since I’ve posted about Wandering Quilt.
So a little bit about Violet’s quilt. Violet is giving her quilt to her nephew. It’s very boy themed as you can see. She pretty much gave everyone free reins with it. There are no expectations or special requests. We’re allowed to add what we want.
So no pressure right?
Uh, no. Well, maybe no pressure, but then I sat on this quilt all month wondering what to add. I had to incorporate the dinosaur blocks to the right. They were last months addition, but weren’t sewn into the quilt yet. I sat staring at this quilt all month. Coming up with a plan, squashing it, plan, squash, plan, squash. I had nothing.
The days are passing and there is nothing. I wasn’t working on it.
Then last week, time was run out and something had to be done about it. I HAD to add on to it. I decided to stop trying to think of boy themed things I could add. There was a lot of boy things already. Instead, I decided to look for something I wanted to do and just do that in boy colors.
After probably nearly a year of staring at this quilt, I decided that this would be perfect for Violet’s quilt.
I incorporated just one of the dinosaur blocks and that bottom right corner space was what I needed to fill.
This was a very fun pattern. I used some scraps of mine, plus some fabric that was sent with the quilt so that it would be cohesive with all the other additions.
And here is my addition added to Violet’s quilt.
I really felt with this one that my stash is in no way up to par for little boys. My primary colors and un-feminine fabrics were hugely lacking. I dug deep to find the fabrics I did end up using.
So what’s next? Next is a compass medallion quilt. It’s lovely. I’ll probably start planning for that one early September, so stay tuned. Then, our very last month as a group in October I’ll be working on a Star Trek themed quilt. Yes. I’m very worried about that one. I think we all were, but despite that the additions so far have been pretty awesome. I can’t wait to show you. And finally, come November we will all get our quilts back. Honey Bee will be in my hands.
I’m going to really miss this group when our time together is over. It’s been great. This is the chattiest group I’ve ever been a part of and I’ve loved that. When you are a part of a group where nobody is very active within the group, you feel it, and the group work becomes a chore no matter how excited you were when you started out. This group has been a stark difference to that. It’s been fun. I’ll savor these last two months.