This post is a part of the Para Para Quilt Along. Below is a list of all the posts and articles on this series.
- Announcement – Sign ups and Details
- Bundles + Supplies Video Chat
- Spirit Bundle For Para Para Quilt
- Scrappy Background Kit for Para Para Quilt
- Prizes and Giveaways
- Week #1 – Half Square Triangles
- Week #2 – Tree Trunks
- Week #3 – Finish Section 1
- Week #4 – Section 2 – Light of Mine Blocks
- Week #5 – Section 3 – Sweet Spot Blocks
- Week #6 – Section 4 – Fading Light Stars
- Week #7 – Section 5 – Bow Tie Blocks
- Week #8 – Section 6 – Girl in the Corner Blocks
- Week #9 – Finished Quilt Top
This week is going to be the easiest of weeks. It’s time for the Light of Mine blocks, and they go together quicker than it takes to drink up a cup of your favorite tea. You can use the extra time you’ll have this round for things like cleaning and laundry. JUST KIDDING! You know I didn’t mean that. 🙂 You can catch up on what you are behind on, jump ahead, or even work on a whole other project. Have fun!
This Week’s Task
This round we are going to be finishing section 2, so just the Light of Mine blocks. There are four of them and they only contain a set of 5 strips. Like I said, easy peazy.
- There’s no special tips this week, but if I had to give one, I’d say that I prefer this block with the darker fabric in the center and the lightest fabric on the outside. There’s something very pleasing to the eye when it looks like that (well, to my eye anyway).
Fabrics I’m using
I’m using Art Gallery Fabrics Spirited fabrics and Pure solid Macademia for my background.
Everything you need for Para Para in one place!
This Week’s Giveaway
This coming Thursday, I’ll be choosing a winner for this week’s giveaway, which I’ll announce over on Instagram on Thursday and here during the next post. All you have to do to be eligible to win is to post your progress over on Instagram using the #paraparaquiltqa. You can post as many times as you want. But be sure to tag me and the sponsors below. The winner will be chosen randomly and is open internationally.
This week’s winner will get:
- Fat Quarter Bundle of Spirited from Art Gallery Fabrics – You must be following @ArtGalleryFabrics
- One pair of Warm Crochet Scissors -You must be following @Warm_Crochet
- One Havel’s 60mm rotary cutter – You must be following @Havels_Sewing
- Ahmed Tea – You must be following @AhmadTea_USA
I’m so excited for this week’s winner and so happy to get to offer this to one of you, lovelies. If you can, do reach out and thank the sponsors. It helps me get them on board with prizes during the quilt alongs.
Discounts from the Sponsors Available to Everyone
- Warm Crochet is offering 10% off all scissors when you use code PARAPARAQUILT at checkout. Shop here.
- Havel’s is offering $7 off any purchase $25 or more when you use code SOUTHERNCHARM7 at checkout. Shop here.
- JCoterie is offering 20% off any longarm quilting on any quilt if you are participating in the quilt along. Sign up here.
Meander + Make and Hillstitches are both holding “First Finish” contests. Please read the rulers for that here. Faith has claimed the First Finish contest from Meander + Make. She has completely finished her Para Para quilt and wins 20 fat quarters. If you are located in Australia or New Zealand the First Finish contest continues for one of you. Good luck!
- Skill Level: Beginner friendly
- Available in PDF and Paper booklet
- Video tutorials
- Pattern is clickable with lots of helpful links included (including methods for basting, quilting and binding)
- 3 scrappy quilt patterns included.
Don’t you think the Light of Mine blocks add drama? I love it up there on my design wall. I keep walking by and staring at it. I hope you are enjoying yours too.
Going to use my extra time to work on taxes ???
Well, now that I read your suggestion to place light colors on the outside of this block, I had to go and redo a block to see if I liked it this way better. And, of course, I do! Now I will be picking seams and resewing my Light of Mine blocks this week. Doing my taxes was my other option?
Lol. Sewing sounds way better than taxes. ?