I finished writing the pattern for LaLa Fancy a few weeks ago. I’ve had it designed for several months now, but I had written another pattern before it, one I was working on in September, BUT once I played around with colors and fabrics, I was in too deep and had to begin this one first. Plus, it’s all one block over and over, and since I’ve had so many patterns release that were sampler style this year, I thought it was far and away time for just one single block.
Star blocks seem to be MANY quilters favorite and I’m including myself in that fact. I’ve always loved the 8-pointed star block, and I had that in mind while designing. I was also trying to incorporate the half rectangle triangle. Since my ruler came out last spring, I’ve wanted to publish more quilt patterns that utilized it. I also wanted to design a block that created a secondary design. Those always seem to make the best one-block quilts.
I’ve written LaLa Fancy (no purpose to the name other than me saying “ooh la la how fancy” after I created the first mock up), to be fat quarter friendly, but since I made this quilt here, I’ve been enjoying limited fabrics, so I decided to also write instructions to just use 5 fabrics only as well.
It means that there will be two sets of cutting instructions: One for fat quarter friendly and one for 5-fabrics.
Fabrics I Used
If interested, we currently have the same bundle I used in this quilt: Pumpkin Parchment and an option for the background: Kona Lingerie available for presale here.
- Pure Solid in Georgia Peach
- Cotton Couture Solid in Ochre
- Art Gallery Fabrics – Cut Flowers Fortune – Kismet – By Sharon Holland
- Art Gallery Fabrics – Cut Flowers Favor – Kismet – By Sharon Holland
- Art Gallery Fabrics – Kantha Mica – Kismet – By Sharon Holland
- Art Gallery Fabrics – Cloak and Petal – Kismet – By Sharon Holland
- Art Gallery Fabrics – Burgeon Forth – Kismet – By Sharon Holland
- Ruby Star Society – Tweed Butterscotch – Smol – By Kimberly Kight
- Art Gallery Fabrics – Pure Solid in Blushing
- Art Gallery Fabrics – Ikat Diamond Rustic – Kismet – By Sharon Holland
- Michael Miller Fabrics – Cotton Couture Solid in Pumpkin
- Ruby Star Society – Peach – Speckled – By Rashida Coleman Hale
- Ruby Star Society – Peach – Add it Up – By Alexia Abegg
- Art Gallery Fabrics – Pure Solid in Peach Sherbet
- Art Gallery Fabrics – Dashing Cinnamon – Kismet – By Sharon Holland
I’ve only just sent this pattern out to testers, so I’m looking at a release early to mid January. I’ve gone ahead and put the pattern available for pre-sale here in the paper booklet format. I’ll be working on quilting this one this week and I’ve already cut my fabrics to work on the 5-fabric version of this pattern. I’m very excited!
Scrappy Low Volume Backgrounds
- Lots of options available
- For backgrounds and for blocks
- Get a guide here