This post is a part of the Para Para Quilt Along. Below is a list of all the posts and articles on this series.
- Announcement – Sign ups and Details
- Bundles + Supplies Video Chat
- Spirit Bundle For Para Para Quilt
- Scrappy Background Kit for Para Para Quilt
- Prizes and Giveaways
- Week #1 – Half Square Triangles
- Week #2 – Tree Trunks
- Week #3 – Finish Section 1
- Week #4 – Section 2 – Light of Mine Blocks
- Week #5 – Section 3 – Sweet Spot Blocks
- Week #6 – Section 4 – Fading Light Stars
- Week #7 – Section 5 – Bow Tie Blocks
- Week #8 – Section 6 – Girl in the Corner Blocks
- Week #9 – Finished Quilt Top
Hello, hello!! I have so loved seeing your progress on Instagram! Remember to use the #paraparaquiltqa and share what you are working on. There are so many great Para Para quilts coming together. I hope you are getting a chance to get to know the other participants and connect with each other. That’s what makes making quilts together so much fun!
Well, we’ve got a lot to get through, so let’s get to it!
This Week’s Task
This round we are going to be finishing up section 1. So we’ve got a lot to do. We’ll start out sewing our HSTs into rows, then finishing up the four individual Tree of Paradise blocks, and then sewing all of them together. It’s the center and highlight of the quilt.
- Use an accurate 1/4″ seam. The scant will get you into trouble as I found out during my first version of Para Para. I used the markings on my machine, but kept the edge of the fabric just on the inside of the line. There are so many squares in these blocks that being off even a little will cause your borders not to fit your blocks.
- When you are pinning your blocks to the borders, be sure you fold the border in half to find it’s center and then pin it to the blocks in the middle and then the ends. You may have to do some easing. I know I had to.
- Pay careful attention to the direction your HSTs are pointed in before you sew. Having to seam rip this many seams could be frustrating.
- Here is the video tutorial. The password is in your pattern.
Fabrics I’m using
I’m using Art Gallery Fabrics Spirited fabrics and Pure solid Macademia for my background.
- Pure Solid in Sweet Macademia
- Calico Days Lavender
- Delicate Balance Alabaster
- Delicate Balance Sienna
- Trail Marker Range
Everything you need for Para Para in one place!
This Week’s Giveaway
This coming Thursday, I’ll be choosing a winner for this week’s giveaway, which I’ll announce over on Instagram on Thursday and here during the next post. All you have to do to be eligible to win is to post your progress over on Instagram using the #paraparaquiltqa. You can post as many times as you want. But be sure to tag me and the sponsors below. The winner will be chosen randomly and is open internationally.
This week’s winner will get:
- Darn Good Yard Fabric of the Month Bundle – You must be following @DarnGoodYarn
- One pair of Warm Crochet Scissors -You must be following @Warm_Crochet
- Havel’s 7″ Serrated Scissors – You must be following @Havels_Sewing
- Ahmed Tea – You must be following @AhmadTea_USA
- Aurifil spool of thread – You must be following @Aurifil
- 2 paper patterns from Southern Charm Quilts – You must be following @SouthernCharmQuilts
I’m so excited for this week’s winner and so happy to get to offer this to one of you, lovelies. If you can, do reach out and thank the sponsors. It helps me get them on board with prizes during the quilt alongs.
Discounts from the Sponsors Available to Everyone
- Warm Crochet is offering 10% off all scissors when you use code PARAPARAQUILT at checkout. Shop here.
- Havel’s is offering $7 off any purchase $25 or more when you use code SOUTHERNCHARM7 at checkout. Shop here.
- JCoterie is offering 20% off any longarm quilting on any quilt if you are participating in the quilt along. Sign up here.
Meander + Make and Hillstitches are both holding “First Finish” contests. Please read the rulers for that here. Faith has claimed the First Finish contest from Meander + Make. She has completely finished her Para Para quilt and wins 20 fat quarters. If you are located in Australia or New Zealand the First Finish contest continues for one of you. Good luck!
Whispers Low Volume Fabric Bundle
- 10 pieces
- Fat quarters or half yard cuts
- Extra yummy
Get your bundle here.
Once you are done with section 1, be sure to do a happy dance! You’ve just completed the toughest part of the quilt and in my opinion the most striking. Give yourself a big hug and a little praise for showing up and putting in the progress. Yay, you!
I can’t wait to see what you do! It’s so fun seeing the same quilt in lots of different colors and fabrics.
Hugs and happy sewing!
Congratulations to the winner of the “first finish”. Melanie you always have such great prizes.