This post is a part of the Para Para Quilt Along. Below is a list of all the posts and articles on this series.
- Announcement – Sign ups and Details
- Bundles + Supplies Video Chat
- Spirit Bundle For Para Para Quilt
- Scrappy Background Kit for Para Para Quilt
- Prizes and Giveaways
- Week #1 – Half Square Triangles
- Week #2 – Tree Trunks
- Week #3 – Finish Section 1
- Week #4 – Section 2 – Light of Mine Blocks
- Week #5 – Section 3 – Sweet Spot Blocks
- Week #6 – Section 4 – Fading Light Stars
- Week #7 – Section 5 – Bow Tie Blocks
- Week #8 – Section 6 – Girl in the Corner Blocks
- Week #9 – Finished Quilt Top
It is time! I’m so excited to be kicking this off and I’m very anxious and so ready to start seeing what you do with this quilt. Please remember to post your progress on Instagram and use the #paraparaquiltqa and #paraparaquilt.
And since this post is full of those three little words…. HST = half square triangle. I’m sure you know that, but I always have somebody ask.
This Week’s Task
We are working on section 1 this week, just the half square triangles. It may seem that there is a gargantuan amount of them and there are, but they go pretty darn fast when using the strip method.
I LOVE this method for half square triangles!
- Don’t forget to use starch. Working with crisp patchwork is way easier. Here is my starch recipe. I starch my fabrics before I cut them into strips and after I press my seams open.
- Pressing your seams open makes for flatter patchwork.
- Be sure to read your directions carefully when cutting HSTs from your strips and watch the video. They have to be cut just so in order to get the correct amount of HSTs from the strips.
- Here is the video tutorial. The password is in your pattern.
I’ve already had someone ask, so I thought I’d share that once you cut your HST from your strip, it’s trimmed to size and ready to go.
I did go ahead and cut all the pieces on section 1 as instructed on page 4 of the pattern, because I like to go in order of the pattern, but I’ve put all the pieces to the side except what I needed to make the HSTs. Remember that we are only sewing, cutting and pressing HSTs this week.
Fabrics I’m using
I’m using Art Gallery Fabrics Spirited fabrics and Pure solid Macademia for my background.
Everything you need for Para Para in one place!
This Week’s Giveaway
This coming Thursday, I’ll be choosing a winner for this week’s giveaway, which I’ll announce over on Instagram on Thursday and here during the next post. All you have to do to be eligible to win is to post your progress over on Instagram using the #paraparaquiltqa. You can post as many times as you want. But be sure to tag me and the sponsors below. The winner will be chosen randomly and is open internationally.
This week’s winner will get:
- One pink Oliso mini iron – You must be following @Oliso
- One pair of Warm Crochet Scissors -You must be following @Warm_Crochet
- One Havel’s 45mm rotary cutter – You must be following @Havels_Sewing
- Ahmed Tea – You must be following @AhmedTea_USA
I’m so excited for this week’s winner and so happy to get to offer this to one of you, lovelies. If you can, do reach out and thank the sponsors. It helps me get them on board with prizes during the quilt alongs.
Discounts from the Sponsors Available to Everyone
- Warm Crochet is offering 10% off all scissors when you use code PARAPARAQUILT at checkout. Shop here.
- Havel’s is offering $7 off any purchase $25 or more when you use code SOUTHERNCHARM7 at checkout. Shop here.
- JCoterie is offering 20% off any longarm quilting on any quilt if you are participating in the quilt along. Sign up here.
Available For Pre-order
At Home by Bonnie + Camille
I’m so happy you are here and are joining in. I’m a sucker for sampler quilts and this one is fun to make. This is the third time I’m making it. See my other two here. Like I mentioned above, it’s a lot of HSTs, but you got this! Break up the tasks into several days, so not to overwhelm yourself. Don’t get discouraged! This is one of the biggest parts of the quilt and the rest is easy peasy from here.
I cannot wait to see what you do! If you are not joining in on Instagram, but want to show me your work, feel free to email me.