It’s time to begin the Hello Posy quilt along! And we have a lot of decisions and cutting ahead of us. Let’s dive right in!
Fabrics I’m Using
This Week’s Task
Our task this week is to choose our fabrics for the foreground and background. Then, to get them cut and organized.
Supplies used in the video
Some of the links below are affiliate links
- Wool pressing mat
- Reliant Maven iron
- All cutting tools are from Havel’s Sewing. Use my ambassador coupon SOUTHERNCHARM7 and receive $7 off any purchase of $25.
- Fiskers cutting mat
- Omnigrid rotating cutting mat
- Creative Grids large ruler
- Creative Grids small ruler
- Stripology ruler
- Wonder clips
- Fussy cut rulers
- Break up this task into multiple days if you need to. We have a schedule during this quilt along, but it’s only meant to guide you along. Not overwhelm you and making you feel like you are falling behind. ANY PROGRESS IS GOOD PROGRESS!
- The fussy cutting is optional! There’s no instructions within the pattern for using this option and it may require more fabric than the fabric requirements instruct.
- The stripology ruler DOES make the sub-cutting faster.
- If you’ve never cut fabric before, my Precision Workshop class has an entire section dedicated to this skill.
- I don’t pre-wash fabrics, but it’s fine if you do!
- Starching your fabric prior to cutting it makes it easier to obtain better cuts and precision when we start our piecing.
Got Kwilts is offering 15% off thru September 7. Use coupon code HELLOPOSY. (US based customers only. Cannot be combined with any other discounts. Cannot be used on pre-orders.)
I’ll be choosing a winner on August 9. If you’ve never used Instagram before, I have this tutorial.
Winner 1 will receive:
Pineapple Fabrics – 1 fat quarter bundle (US only)
Got Kwilts – $50 gift certificate (US winners only)
Winner 2 will receive:
Crimson Confection – A 10-piece low volume fat quarter bundle
Snugglebug Stitching – 2 PDF patterns
Winner 3 will receive:
Calliope Quilts – $50 gift certificate
Sew Hooked on Treasures – 2 PDF patterns
To be eligible for the prizes above:
- Post your progress on your quilt using the #helloposyqal to be eligible for the prizes! The more you post, the better your odds for winning.
- You MUST be following myself and ALL of the sponsors to win any prize (I do check this before choosing winners). Follow all of these accounts and you will be eligible:
- Giveaway is open to US and international participants, however, some sponsors may have shipping limitations. Prize is void if the sponsor is unwilling to ship out of the US.
- A winner/winners will be chosen one day prior to every post (except the first one) and announced on IG. It is your responsibility to get in touch with me by email and claim your prize. I won’t track you down. You have 15 days to claim your prize by email after that it will be void. See the calendar above for a better view of dates.
Take a class at
Quilt ClassGet an extra helping hand and detailed instruction for specific projects or entire quilts!
I took two days to cut my fabrics. On one day I cut foreground and the next day I cut the background. I’m glad, because it was a lot of cutting! Fussy cutting a few of those fat quarters added quite a bit of time. And the background was a lot of tiny pieces. Whew!
I like cutting fabric though, it means the beginning of a quilt. That’s an exciting time. You are all ready to see it start coming together!
- (coming soon)