Today is Fernweh quilt pattern release day!!
I hope you like enormous star blocks, because that’s what Fernweh is ALL ABOUT!
Let’s dig in!
Fernweh Quilt comes in four sizes: Pillow size 24″, Throw 72″x72″, Twin 72″x96″ and queen/king 96″x96″.
This is a beginner quilt pattern! The only skills used are straight line sewing and snowballs. Video tutorial is included for the snowballs.
Links from the video
- Get the Fernweh quilt pattern
- View Fernweh quilt kit page
- Snowball tutorial
- See more version of Fernweh quilt on Instagram
- See all of my Fernweh quilts
- Get on my email list to get access to the free pattern library
- My sewing machine is a Juki 2000
- I quilt on a sit down Bernina Q20
- My sewing cabinet is from Arrow Sewing, find it here. The cutting table is located here. Use my coupon code: MELANIE20 for 20% off any purchase.
- SHOP MY FABRIC STORE
- INSTAGRAM: @southerncharmquilts + @meanderandmake
- Contact me
A bit about the pattern
I am endlessly fascinated with star quilt blocks. You could easily get lost in a rabbit hole of all the different ways to put them together. The Fernweh pattern (pronounced FIEN-VEE, the German word for wanderlust) is a star within a star block. The inner portion is the ever-familiar sawtooth star, while the outer portion looks as if it’s bursting to life.
I couldn’t settle on a style while designing Fernweh. So instead, I’ve created the pattern in two different styles of quilts. There’s the style pictured on the cover (version 1), and a reversed style that you’ll see within the pattern.
Because the two patterns are not a “true” reversal of foreground and background, I’ve written them as two separate patterns, both comprising the Fernweh pattern. Simply choose which version you’d like to make and skip to that section.
- Skill Level: Beginner
- Skills Used: Snowballs
- Speed: Faster make
- Sizes: 24″x24″ pillow, 72″x72″ throw, 72″x96″ twin/full, 96″x96″ queen/king
- 15 illustrated pages.
- Pattern includes a video tutorial for snowballs
- Pattern has lots of helpful links included (including methods for basting, quilting and binding).
- Pattern includes “scrappy backing guide”
- Use #FernwehQuilt for sharing on Instagram.
- Kit page is available here.
We have bundles!
We have quite a few kits curated up for Fernweh right now. Find them all here!
Here’s a look at my testers work…
The quilts below were made by the following group of quilters:
- @prairie hugs
Leave a Reply