Week 2 of the Mariposa Quilt Along begins now!
The magic begins to happen today! We are working on blockmaking. Light a candle, put on something you want to be listening to in the background and be happy. You get to sew today!
This Round’s Task
This round we are making 6 blocks!
Please feel free to leave a question below. I plan on answering any questions/comments I receive on the next video.
- I know I’m always sharing this tip, but REALLY starch is your very best friend. Use the starch after you make the flying geese and then again on the finished block. You’ll have an easier time maneuvering your fabric and keeping your point, but you’ll also get a nice crisp end look. I’m currently using Best Press.
- One of the big tips I shared in the video (which doesn’t seem like much), is to always sew from the center of the flying geese unit and not the corner. I’m not sure why this works so well, but when I “don’t” do it this way, one side of my flying geese unit is higher than the other, resulting in an imperfect top edge above the pointed center.
- Your flying geese unit should come out the size we need it to be without any trimming. BUT if you have to trim it, trim the sides and bottom. Do not trim the top part where the point is!
I’ll be choosing a winner on January 18!
Winner will receive:
From Midlife Quilter: A $75 gift certificate.
How to be eligible:
- Post your progress on your quilt using the #mariposaqal to be eligible for the prizes! The more you post, the better your odds for winning.
- You MUST be following myself and all of the sponsors to win ANY prize. Follow all of these accounts and you won’t have any problems: @southerncharmquilts, @meanderandmake, @seams_sew_me, @bessiepearl, @slightlybiasedquilts, @midlife_quilter, @quilting_mayhem, and @crimsonconfection.
- Giveaway is open to US and international participants, however, some sponsors may have some limitations or substitutions if you are outside the US.
- A winner will be chosen one day prior to every post and announced on IG and in the next round’s email. It is your responsibility to get in touch with me by email and claim your prize. I won’t be able to track you down. You have 15 days to claim your prize by email after that it will be void. See the calendar above for a visual of the dates.
I hope you enjoy making these blocks. I love that they are HUGE. Makes it a bit easier, doesn’t it? I CANNOT WAIT until I see yours, so don’t forget to tag me. Happy sewing!
Yesterday’s giveaway winner was: @suehofer
- Jenny is making her quilt in Earthy Goodness fabrics!
- Loving Roni‘s fabric choices and those adorable pins.
- Cannot wait to see Sue‘s quilt. All that AMH!
- Meghan‘s fabric choices are gorgeous too.
- Stephanie‘s fabrics have the sweetest little butterflies!