· · ·

The Rescue Quilts – #5 – Finishing the OLD Landslide quilt – {quilt reveal}

The Rescue Quilt series is about finishing up quilt tops that were never completed and then remaking the pattern.  Sometimes I find easier / modern ways to make the quilt pattern, and sometimes I change up the pattern a bit to freshen things up.

Sometimes I will offer the quilt pattern to you free, sometimes it will be a paid pattern in my pattern shop.

The goal is to honor the quilt maker who made the quilt top by completing their project, to not waste good craftsmanship (usually done by hand), to ogle long ago yummy fabrics, and to breathe in a little old inspiration and make it new again.  You can view all parts of this series here.

Want to get started on finishing your own Rescue quilts?  Here are a few articles to get you started:


Available quilt tops on Ebay (for your own rescue)

Vintage Quilt top in Flower Garden Dresden Plate Quilt Top 88"×73"
Dresden Plate Quilt (current bid at $17.50)
Vintage 1950s Hand Sewn Log Cabin Everyday Patchwork Quilt Top 65.5 x 90"
1950s Log Cabin (priced at $29.99)
Large Vintage Bright Color Flower Pattern Quilt Top
Garden of Dreams (priced at $75)




Oh my, y’all!  I am in love with this quilt.

I can’t believe it sat for so long, first with it’s original maker and then in my own closet.  It’s tired of being put away, I tell you!  It’s time for this lovely to get some cuddles.

This is part 2 of this quilt for me.  You can see the original post here.

You may have seen me on IG going on and on about the wonkiness of this quilt.  And it is a very obvious thing!  Look at those wobbly edges.  There was no hiding them without cutting into one of the quilt blocks, and I dared not.  Instead I said wonky and wobbly edges are fine by me!

No side of this quilt had the same measurements and I had one heck of a time basting it.

Side story and a lesson I learned

So you know I spray baste my quilts on the wall (tutorial here).

Well, this quilt because of it’s wonkiness was VERY difficult to baste.  To avoid having folds or tucks in the quilt, I stretched it and really puts some muscle into making this quilt lay flat.  It was no easy feat.

But I did finally get it done and just kinda sank to the floor in exhaustion.  Normally, I remove my quilts from the wall, take them to my machine, and get to quilting them.  Even if I don’t quilt them right then and there I take them to my machine.  The spray is temporary and only lasts a day or two at best.  So I normally do it fairly quickly after basting.

This time however, I left the quilt on the wall in it’s basting state and ran upstairs to make some dinner for the family.  After dinner, I got to piddling about with “un-quilty” things and went off to bed.

The next morning I’m all gung-ho and ready to get my quilting on, so I head downstairs to the studio.

Do you know where I’m going with this story?  Get ready to squint.  Get ready to face palm.

The quilt lay on the ground UNBASTED.  Yeah, overnight it just slipped right on off the batting.  I was not a happy camper.  I was downright unpleasant to anyone who came near me until I finally took a deep breath and basted the whole darn thing over again.  Ugh.

Note to self:  Take the quilt off the wall after you baste it.  Especially the difficult and little you-know-what quilts.


7 day FREE trial on Craftsy Unlimited


About those wobbly edges, some of you may be wondering why I would leave it like that or even like it that way.  The blocks were all roughly 6″, foundation pieced to newspaper and hand sewn.  It wasn’t a perfect quilt, but it was a lovely one.  And even in it’s flawed state, I found it to be beautiful.  Everything doesn’t have to be perfect.

I could have cut into the blocks and made the quilt have a straight edge.  This just came down to accepting something I think.  If I had cut into the quilt that would have been okay too, but it was already so wonky, I felt the edges didn’t really take away from it anymore than some of the other “flaws”.

I quilted with a pretty tight meander.  The quilt had some tiny tears, holes, and some dry rotting fabric, so a tight quilting pattern was needed to cover some of this up.  Plus, the more quilting you put into a quilt the stronger it is (or that’s what I always say).

I backed the quilt with two AGF fabrics:  Bed of Daisies and Row by Row.  I used Dreams of Kandace for the binding.

Get your own personalized quilt labels here.


Product Spotlight

 Every edition Fat Quarter Bundle includes 10 fat quarters.
Every box is unique and includes randomly selected fat quarter cuts from a mix of Art Gallery collections in a printed designer box.

Pick a color and purchase here.



This was a fun finish and I’m glad I got the chance to give this quilt a new life.

I’ve linked above (first paragraph) about where I find the rescue quilts at.  Mostly, Ebay and sometimes Etsy.  Etsy tends to be a bit more expensive.  I also thrift, visit estate sales and antique shops.  Still though, Ebay tends to win for the “most” for my money.

I’m hoping it will find a new forever home soon.

You can find it for sale here.  You can also find other Rescue Quilts of mine for sale here.


Similar Posts


  1. This quilt is stunning, Melanie! I do love the front but I REALLY love the back! You have totally inspired me with the way you select and assemble fabrics for the backs of your quilts. They are just so lovely and always as beautiful and interesting as the fronts. I’m looking forward to the Landslide pattern. It really speaks to me. 🙂

Leave a Reply